Sunday, January 13, 2013

Nominated Twice (Make that 3 Xs...No, FOUR times) for Wonderful Team Member Readership Award!

What else can I say but, "Thank You!" to both Cheri Hudson Passey of Carolina Girl Genealogy: Researching My Southern Roots and Andrea Kelleher of How Did I Get Here? My Amazing Genealogy Journey, who have BOTH nominated me for the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award! I was totally taken off guard by their kind appreciation.

To tell you the truth, I had never heard of the reward before, so....researcher at heart that I am, I went in search of the origins of the award and the rules for displaying the badge. I discovered that the spirit of the award can be summed up with the following quote:
As bloggers we are also readers. This is a part of blogging as listening is a part of speaking.
There are five rules for accepting the nomination for this award:

  1. The nominee of the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award shall display the logo on his/her post/page and/or sidebar;
  2. The nominee shall nominate 14 readers they appreciate over a period of seven days (1 week)--this can be done at any rate during the week. It can be ALL on one day or a few on one day and a few on another day, etc.
  3. The nominee shall name his/her Wonderful Team Member Readership Award nominees on a post, or on posts, during the 7 day (1 week) period;
  4. The nominee shall make these rules, or amend rules, keeping with the spirit of the Wonderful Team Member Readership Award, known to each reader s/he nominates;
  5. The nominee must finish this sentence and post, "A Great reader is...." 
I am grateful for all my readers, and especially to those who follow my blogs faithfully. For me it all began a little over two years ago when my friend Julie Bartlett, archivist of The Calvin Coolidge Presidential Library and Museum, and local history librarian at Forbes Library in Northampton, Massachusetts, had urged me to take several steps in preparation for an eventual career change. (You can find their blog here.)

What I soon discovered was the warm support of the genea-blogging community which caused me to reach out, in search of kindred spirits. And so, I nominate those who have given me the greatest support through their readership and their kind comments over the years:
  1. Since I did not see anywhere in the rules that you could not nominate the person who nominated you, I nominate first, Andrea Kelleher, who has cheered me on more than anyone else! Her research and mine overlap on our Craven County, NC ancestors, and it is always a joy to read what she is discovering on her amazing genealogy journey!
  2. My next biggest support is Yvette Porter Moore, the industrious author of several genealogy blogs. She is known as The Root Digger, and you can find her home page here. Currently she is working on a series called, Treasured Orphan Photos. Her research also overlaps with my Craven County family history, and we share the surname CULLEY in our family trees.
  3. LindaRe was one of my first followers, and we met via the GeneaBloggers community. She writes a blog entitled, Between The Gate Posts.
  4. Sometime we connect with bloggers we have things in common with and then lose touch with them. We follow their blog, but get bogged down when our research veers off course. Then, suddenly, we reconnect like a long lost friend! That's what I can say about Midge Frazel, author of Granite in My Blood. When you've been away for a while and then go back, it's amazing how blogs have developed over time! Midge's husband and I share the Newton family tree, going back to the immigrant, Richard Newton of Sudbury, MA. Midge had first commented on my blog back in August 2011! My, how time flies! I'm glad that we've reconnected...and perhaps this year I can find out more about the burial grounds of my Newton ancestors!
  5. Greta Kohl, author of Greta's Genealogy Bog, connected with me over a post I wrote on the contents of my father's wallet. I was doing a series for the GeneaBlogger's writing prompt, Treasure Chest Thursday, called Beginning an Inventory. You can find that post here. I was impressed by her latest post entitled, Why I'm Creating a Junk Tree on Ancestry.
  6. The next two bloggers and I connected over The Third Annual Great Genealogy Poetry Challenge. I had submitted a poem that my grandfather, Francis Allyn Newton, had written down in a letter to home while in WWI. The poem was called, The OD Pill ("olive drab"). Bill West, also a GeneaBlogger member, writes a blog called, West in New England. I added him to my reading list early on, especially since I lived in Western Massachusetts for twenty-five years and had many ancestors originate in that state since the 1600s. 
  7. The other commenter on that post was Judith Richards Shubert, author of Cemeteries of the Covered Bridges and Tennessee Memories, which by the way, has been nominated for a Family Tree Magazine 40 Best Genealogy Blogs award.
  8. The next author is the author of the family history memoir, Oh Beautiful: An American Family in the 20th Century. I read his book last year because of The Armchair Genealogist's Family History Writing Challenge. Upon completion, I wrote him an email, telling him how much I enjoyed reading his book. He visited my blog and responded most graciously, offering encouragement for the start of my family history memoir writing project. John Paul Godges's Blog can be found at GoodReads.com.
  9. Sometimes when I read a blog I follow, I follow the trail of their blogs that they follow and see if I can find anything new and interesting. Jordan's Journey was a blog like this. I don't think I could tell you exactly how I found his blog, but I remember being drawn in by viewing the trailer for his book. Jordan M. Scoggins--a fellow GeneaBlogger-- commented on a post entitled, Thriller Thursday--Finding the Truth in a Family Legend
  10. Liv Taylor-Harris and I connected through Blog Caroling this past year. She is the author of Claiming Kin: adding one leaf at a time to my Texas family tree.
  11. Leaves For Trees is the blog written by Heather Kuhn Roelker. We've just recently connected when she commented on my post: Motivation Monday: THIS IS NOT A NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION. Thanks for the encouragement, Heather!
  12. BettyAnn Schmidt and I connected through last year's Family History Writing Challenge. She commented on a post entitled, Writing the Family History Memoir. Her blog is called Rhine Girl: From Somewhere Over-The-Rhine. I hope you participate in this year's challenge, BettyAnn! I will be.
  13. I met Cheri Hudson Passey, one of the bloggers who nominated me for this award, through Blog Caroling this year. Her post featured The Nativity and Amy Grant's song, Breath of Heaven. Stop by and watch the video! 
  14. My final nominee is.....Doug Stinson, the author of Unexpected Connections: Exploring beyond the obvious. While Doug is my only nominee who is not a genealogy blogger, he is a photographer who found the photo I posted of my grandfather shortly after WWI at the Endicott-Johnson Shoe Factory. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to share your grandfather's story!
Well, that's it! 14 nominations in one day! And let me finish with:


A Great reader is one who searches for things in common with their fellow bloggers, and takes the time to take a look around, share a story, offer a word of encouragement, or just say, Hello!

A great BIG Thank you! to all those Great readers out there...

9 comments:

  1. Thank you Debra, I appreciate your kindness. I remember your informative posts on the Methodist Church and will continue to be a reader in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh You got me! :) Thanks so much for the nomination. Between you and Yvette, I feel like you guys are my Craven County blog sisters. Thank you for your continued support and keep those blog posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you Debra! I love your blog, and it has really helped me with structuring my own blog. Yes, I'll be doing the writing challenge again this year. I got so much accomplished last year, there is no way I'd pass it up this time. I'm ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the recognition! I hope we can continue to motivate each other down the road. Here's to a great and productive new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've nominated you back, Debra! With so many nominations, you might win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bettyann! Looking forward to the writing challenge! It's such a great way to get motivated and cheer each other on. :-)

      Delete
  6. Debra! THANK YOU so much for this nomination! I'm so sorry that I did not see it sooner. Well, I have seen it now and have added you to my acceptance speech too! You are so-o-o-o sweet for thinking of me and I truly appreciate my virtual connection with you. Take care, again thanks, and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Debra for the Award. I also awarded it to you!!! Thank you for being my friend, cousin, fellow genealogist..and most of all thank you for reading and making comments on my blog too. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for nominating me. I really appreciate it! I have enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to do so. Happpy bogging and reading in 2013!

    ReplyDelete