Skip to main content

What It Means To Be "On The Clock"

I've been silent for a couple months, but not still.

So much has happened since the Family History Writing Challenge this past February! I had continued to work on my family history memoir for most of April and into the first part of May. Then, suddenly, I hit an emotional road block....

Writers need to keep on reading
Available at Amazon.com

During that time I read Joyce Carol Oates', We Were the Mulvaneys. At the start of the book, I had just subscribed to Suzanne Windsor Freeman's blog, write it sideways: Writing advice from a fresh perspective, and received her free Resource Wrap-Up, Read Better, Write Better Novel Study Workbook for Aspiring Novelists. 

I printed out the template: but since most of my reading time is during lunch breaks at work, I found it difficult to follow through with the workbook pages.

I did, however, keep in mind some of the elements Suzanne encourages writers/readers to think about as they read.

The book details the affects of a traumatic event in the life of Marianne Mulvaney upon herself and her parents and siblings. While reading, the one element that became more apparent was the author's  narrative voice, which could be described as an alternating point of view, vacillating between the first-person character voice of Judd, and third person omniscient.

In that way, Oates was able to tell the story from the brother/son's perspective and still be able to fill in the gaps with scenes of how the event affected the others. This was the first time I have ever read a book whereby the author did not use the same narrative voice throughout; and, in this case it proved most effective.


A gentle "nudge"
In early June, Yvette Porter Moore gave me a little nudge regarding applying for professional certification through Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG).

At first I thought...

I don't want to be a professional genealogist. After my experience with owning a sole proprietorship, I don't want to go through that again...
But then I began to think of it as the first piece of my 5-year plan. When I had tried to apply for graduate school in the past, I could not get the required two or three professors or colleagues who were familiar with my work to write letters of recommendation for my application package.

Since I graduated with the class of 1983, most of my professors who remembered me from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst were deceased...the sole surviving writing professor who acknowledged my work I dared not ask since I am yet unpublished.

And of the professors at Houghton College, none <sadly> remembered me....a small school, yet lost as a fish in the vast sea of academia. Even sadder yet was the fact that those who had remembered me from UMASS/Amherst had only had me as a student in one (1) class. Imagine that!

So, the question of certification changed from that of working as a professional genealogist to one of making current connections through submitting a professional portfolio to those who might one day write a letter of recommendation to a graduate school offering a dual Masters degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) and Public Records and Archives Management.

The Five-Year Plan
With a new hopeful perspective, I devised this rigorous, yet realistic plan toward reaching my goal:

  1. BCG Certification,
  2. study for and take the Graduate Records Exam (GRE), 
  3. apply for and complete a dual Masters degree in the areas listed above, and finally,
  4. change careers from Deli Manager to the start of a whole new career in research/writing/records management.


On the Clock...
On June 12th my Facebook status read:
I'm so excited! Just received my Category Application packet from Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG) in the mail today! Took a look at the document they supplied and am even MORE psyched! 

...to which my husband replied...
(PLEASE NOTE: 
most effective if you view the clip while reading the the comment below)

 "The 5-year plan... to explore strange new (genealogical) worlds, to seek out new life (information) and new (formerly unknown) civilizations (cultures)... to boldly go (inquire and discover) where no man (or woman genealogist) has gone before... FAMILY TREK!!! I'm sorry folks... I couldn't resist (must have been those BORG ancestors).


By May 30, 2014 I expect to have submitted my BCG portfolio and then or shortly thereafter to have received professional certification....the completion of step one in the five-year plan.

What you can expect to see on the blog...
With a new focus and determination, you can expect to see some new things as I share the process of assembling a professional genealogical portfolio...although I will not be able to share any specifics of my BCG presentation.

You can also expect to see a continuation of the series: The Civil War Pension File of Isaac Carter, as well as side-notes for the continuation of The Family History Memoir on Adventures of Family History Writing, and more commentaries on sources at The Bizzy Bee's Family History Journal.

So, I invite you to follow me as I share with you the progress of a whole new season in the life of this family historian.




Comments

  1. You got Borg ancestors...I got Borg ancestors too. LOL! Only kidding :) Good for you. Your plan is awesome and you will do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Estate of Isaac Dove (1826): Transcription of Summons, Image 5

Summons: ....14 November 1825 "North Carolina, Estate Files, 1663-1979," index and images,  FamilySearch   (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKJM-FYZ :  accessed 08 Aug 2013), Isaac Dove, 1826. Image 5/45 [As you can see here, the Summons referred to in the transcription of Image 3/45 was attached to the description and plat.] STATE OF NORTH-CAROLINA. To the Sheriff of Craven County, GREETING: YOU are hereby commanded to summon Hardy L. Jones, James T. Jones Esquire, Gideon Jones, Joseph Davis & Benjamin Borden ------------- to me at such place and at some time before the next Court, to be held for your County, on the second Monday of February next, as to [scratched out] you shall seem fit, then and there to make partition of that part of the lands (which were formerly held in common between Isaac Dove and Anthony Brown) which belongs to the heirs of Isaac Dove and are situated in Craven County on the east side of Spring Branch. ---------------- -------

Honoring our Ancestors: Free Black Patriots of the Revolutionary War

When I was first contacted last October to assist in some research for a member of the DAR who was looking for the burial ground of her ancestor, Isaac Carter, I had no idea it would lead to such a wonderful tribute--with full honors--to our free black ancestors of Craven County, North Carolina. Nor would I have guessed that I would be meeting together with Ms. Maria William Cole, National Vice Chairman Insignia, of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, and a host of other dignitaries, from the highest officials of the SAR to state and local political and community service leaders, to pay tribute to these patriots. The turnout exceeded my expectation when this event proceeded on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, with close to a hundred and fifty people or more, seated on folding chairs under three canopy tents. The microphone cable lay along the wet grass and soon died out, and we, the speakers, were asked to use our "mother's voices" to make o

Using Estate Files to Document Family Relationships on FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch The other day I had a Facebook exchange with a fellow genealogist regarding the valuable resource of FamilySearch.org. This researcher was looking for estate records for South Carolina, and since my husband's maternal line descends from Horry County, I continued to tell her about the records on FamilySearch.org, until I rediscovered why I had chosen to work on my husband's paternal line from North Carolina: not all states' records are represented equally on the site, by far!  Browsing records by location In case you've never searched using the "browse the records" method, here is the process: After signing in and clicking on the "Search" option, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the country file you would like to explore. For this purpose, I'll be clicking on "United States." On the left side of the screen you will find a listing of states to select from. I'll be clicking on "South Ca