Skip to main content

Treasure Chest Thursday -- Beginning an inventory, Part 4

What's in a Wallet? What's in a name?

Debra Ann Newton
(myself)
I once heard that a wallet tells a story about the person who carries it. Mine is a small, black, zippered wallet which came with my purse, containing only a few coins, some "plastic", a library card, a Barnes and Nobel Membership card, and various other  member services cards, some business cards and the phone numbers of my employees, several scripture cards, and my State ID (I don't drive). It serves as an illustration of a Christian manager with an affinity for books and discounts.

Within the file box of my Dad's belongings from his dresser drawers was his wallet. When I showed it to my husband, he said, "Yeah. It's a wallet." He had little interest in what was inside the wallet. Perhaps he felt it was too personal to look through it . . . or perhaps it was just too mundane. But with my underlying belief that by the contents of a person's wallet a story can be told, I began to examine it thoughtfully.
Doris (Silverman) & Richard Newton
(my parents)

Measuring 4 1/4" x 7 1/4" folded, the brown leather Prince Gardner bi-fold opens to a place on the left side where a driver's license would be placed. No driver's license . . . just a folded, yellow card: 
NEED REGISTRY INFORMATION?
Visit our website on the Internet at at (sic)
https://www.magnet.state.ma.us/rmv.

On the right side of the wallet are empty pockets for "MEMOS" and bills.

Inside there are larger pockets on each side, containing thick piles of cards on the left side, and a tattered and yellowed envelope with my mother's handwriting:
Dick's Cards
84
86
David Francis Newton
(my paternal uncle)
The first item in the pile on the left side was my Dad's Social Security card. What interested me was not only how the cards have changed over the years, but that this card had my Dad's name as: Richard Allyn Newton. There is an interesting controversy over the spelling of his middle name in our family. It seems that the middle name derived from Deacon Allen Newton, the son of Nahum Jr. and Damaris (Brigham) Newton, born in Paxton, Worcester, MA on April 3, 1791. My Aunt Helen (Newton) Beers' typewritten notes state:
. . . . The mother of Damaris Brigham was Miriam Allen and this could have been the origin of the name Allen in connection with the Newton family. (Have been told Grandmother Newton used the spelling ALLYN because she liked it but that was not the spelling used by the namesake who was known and (sic) Deacon Allen Newton and Grandmother hoped he might become as good a man as the namesake." [in reference to my grandfather, Francis Allyn Newton; p. 4]
Harriet (Jones) Newton
(my paternal grandmother)
Farther down the page, my aunt writes:
Clippings from Dr. Gore's grandmother's Bible:
one reads:
"In Greene, N. Y., Feb. 27--Deacon Allen Newton, aged 79 years.
Feb. 28--His wife, Marcia Newton--77 yrs."
It speaks of their being very devout and faithful members of the Baptist church in Greene, and adds they were "buried in one grave."
I remember as a child, my mother telling me that my Grandma Newton [Harriet (Jones) Newton] had changed the spelling back to Allen when my Dad was born; but there seemed to be some confusion in my Dad's mind as to whether she had maintained the spelling of my grandfather's name [Francis Allyn Newton], or had changed it back. Every other document, including my Dad's military service records, list his middle name as Allen.

Doris & Abby (King) Silverman
(my Mom & maternal grandmother)
Just as every wallet contains the story of a man's life, so does his Social Security card.
  1. Underneath lie a duplicate of his Selective Service System Registration Certificate with his Johnson City, NY address where he grew up;
  2. his VA (Veteran's Administration) identification card, recording his address in Washington, D.C.;
  3. library cards to three Western MA city libraries; 
  4. a photo of our daughter, Vanessa, at age 2 years 7 months; 
  5. some medical insurance cards; 
  6. a  business card holder containing his professional cards, one with his handwritten note across the back: "Handy Man" with phone number; 
  7. a Lenten Prayer card;
  8. and his Commonwealth of Massachusetts Transportation Access Pass, tucked inside a burgundy, vinyl holder. . . and his appointment card for FRANKLIN - HAMPSHIRE EYE CARE. "Next scheduled appointment: 8-98." Note: my Dad died of metastatic optic melanoma on August 30, 2004.
David Allen Silverman
(my maternal uncle)
Inside the envelope on the right side of the wallet was:
  1.  his library card for UMASS/Amherst;
  2. Amherst Council on Aging Official Identification Card;
  3. his card for NYSUT 1885-1997 (New York State United Teachers);
  4. and, an assortment of photos, some shown throughout.
So, what does this say about my Dad's life?
To me it illustrates a man with close family ties, whose in-laws were as close to him as his own . . . a man who served his country and his God . . . who passed on his love of books and libraries to his daughter . . . and who strove to develop his craft as well as his profession . . . a man who aged, became ill and died . . . a man who lived a good life.

Comments

  1. I love your post! I have to look into my dad's wallet too...LOL You made your father come alive through the contents of his wallet. Very creative and oh so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, the story my wallet would tell is that this is a person who doesn't clean her wallet out often enough!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Estate of Isaac Dove (1826): Transcription of Summons, Image 5

Summons: ....14 November 1825 "North Carolina, Estate Files, 1663-1979," index and images,  FamilySearch   (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKJM-FYZ :  accessed 08 Aug 2013), Isaac Dove, 1826. Image 5/45 [As you can see here, the Summons referred to in the transcription of Image 3/45 was attached to the description and plat.] STATE OF NORTH-CAROLINA. To the Sheriff of Craven County, GREETING: YOU are hereby commanded to summon Hardy L. Jones, James T. Jones Esquire, Gideon Jones, Joseph Davis & Benjamin Borden ------------- to me at such place and at some time before the next Court, to be held for your County, on the second Monday of February next, as to [scratched out] you shall seem fit, then and there to make partition of that part of the lands (which were formerly held in common between Isaac Dove and Anthony Brown) which belongs to the heirs of Isaac Dove and are situated in Craven County on the east side of Spring Branch. ---------------- -------

Honoring our Ancestors: Free Black Patriots of the Revolutionary War

When I was first contacted last October to assist in some research for a member of the DAR who was looking for the burial ground of her ancestor, Isaac Carter, I had no idea it would lead to such a wonderful tribute--with full honors--to our free black ancestors of Craven County, North Carolina. Nor would I have guessed that I would be meeting together with Ms. Maria William Cole, National Vice Chairman Insignia, of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, and a host of other dignitaries, from the highest officials of the SAR to state and local political and community service leaders, to pay tribute to these patriots. The turnout exceeded my expectation when this event proceeded on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, with close to a hundred and fifty people or more, seated on folding chairs under three canopy tents. The microphone cable lay along the wet grass and soon died out, and we, the speakers, were asked to use our "mother's voices" to make o

Using Estate Files to Document Family Relationships on FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch The other day I had a Facebook exchange with a fellow genealogist regarding the valuable resource of FamilySearch.org. This researcher was looking for estate records for South Carolina, and since my husband's maternal line descends from Horry County, I continued to tell her about the records on FamilySearch.org, until I rediscovered why I had chosen to work on my husband's paternal line from North Carolina: not all states' records are represented equally on the site, by far!  Browsing records by location In case you've never searched using the "browse the records" method, here is the process: After signing in and clicking on the "Search" option, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the country file you would like to explore. For this purpose, I'll be clicking on "United States." On the left side of the screen you will find a listing of states to select from. I'll be clicking on "South Ca