Skip to main content

"Where Am I?" .... in the process of BCG Certification

If you're currently working toward your Board for Certification of Genealogists (BCG) portfolio as I am, or on any large project, you probably realize how quickly time escapes us!

I started "on the clock" on May 30th, and already, the first quarter nears its end! Time to make a plan...

So far, I seem to have gotten stuck on working with an estate file which proved the relationship of a group of ancestors. Working with land divisions is interesting...but there's so much more to accomplish!
No time to let details and tangents hold me back!

I think I need to go back to the requirements page (there are seven parts to a completed portfolio), and make an outline with some established goals for completion.

First things first...



While there is an excellent section of FAQs provided by BCG for the research portfolio requirement, and also a very helpful Six-Month Cycle Timeline provided on the website, I have decided that for myself, I need to work on the kinship determination project throughout the year so I don't get caught short of my expectations by the time the alarm goes off on May 30, 2014!



  • The first thing I did was to print out a descendants report for the four generations I plan on using for my kinship determination narrative (Part 7 of the BCG Requirements). That narrowed it down to four pages of names.
  • I then broke down the list into six equal parts, keeping family groups intact, so that I now have sections to be completed by September, October, November, December, January and February. While the website offers a twelve-month timeline, I've decided to work on the six-month cycle in order to allow more time for additional research, edits and re-writes. 
  • I made a list of the types of records I needed to round out the narrative for each person, and then searched online repository indexes for those names, keeping a list of the repository name, type of record, and person connected to the record.
  • Then I printed out a copy of my genealogy software's (Legacy 7.5) Descendants Narrative for Isaac Carter, limiting the generations to four, including his. One nice thing about this is that there are blanks drawn for each missing piece of information which will alert me to find answers to these questions. 
I am fully aware that these reports do not fulfill the requirement for BCG Certification, but they do help me to remain focused on my research boundaries for this project. 

Ready...set...go...

Now that I have a framework to reign me in, I hope to stay on target for the remaining nine months...enough time to birth a portfolio!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Estate of Isaac Dove (1826): Transcription of Summons, Image 5

Summons: ....14 November 1825 "North Carolina, Estate Files, 1663-1979," index and images,  FamilySearch   (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VKJM-FYZ :  accessed 08 Aug 2013), Isaac Dove, 1826. Image 5/45 [As you can see here, the Summons referred to in the transcription of Image 3/45 was attached to the description and plat.] STATE OF NORTH-CAROLINA. To the Sheriff of Craven County, GREETING: YOU are hereby commanded to summon Hardy L. Jones, James T. Jones Esquire, Gideon Jones, Joseph Davis & Benjamin Borden ------------- to me at such place and at some time before the next Court, to be held for your County, on the second Monday of February next, as to [scratched out] you shall seem fit, then and there to make partition of that part of the lands (which were formerly held in common between Isaac Dove and Anthony Brown) which belongs to the heirs of Isaac Dove and are situated in Craven County on the east side of Spring Branch. ---------------- -------

Honoring our Ancestors: Free Black Patriots of the Revolutionary War

When I was first contacted last October to assist in some research for a member of the DAR who was looking for the burial ground of her ancestor, Isaac Carter, I had no idea it would lead to such a wonderful tribute--with full honors--to our free black ancestors of Craven County, North Carolina. Nor would I have guessed that I would be meeting together with Ms. Maria William Cole, National Vice Chairman Insignia, of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, and a host of other dignitaries, from the highest officials of the SAR to state and local political and community service leaders, to pay tribute to these patriots. The turnout exceeded my expectation when this event proceeded on a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon, with close to a hundred and fifty people or more, seated on folding chairs under three canopy tents. The microphone cable lay along the wet grass and soon died out, and we, the speakers, were asked to use our "mother's voices" to make o

Using Estate Files to Document Family Relationships on FamilySearch.org

FamilySearch The other day I had a Facebook exchange with a fellow genealogist regarding the valuable resource of FamilySearch.org. This researcher was looking for estate records for South Carolina, and since my husband's maternal line descends from Horry County, I continued to tell her about the records on FamilySearch.org, until I rediscovered why I had chosen to work on my husband's paternal line from North Carolina: not all states' records are represented equally on the site, by far!  Browsing records by location In case you've never searched using the "browse the records" method, here is the process: After signing in and clicking on the "Search" option, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the country file you would like to explore. For this purpose, I'll be clicking on "United States." On the left side of the screen you will find a listing of states to select from. I'll be clicking on "South Ca